Tuesday 14 August 2007

Tuesdays With Morrie

"an old man, a young man, and life's greatest lesson"

By Mitch Albom

My cousin in Canada gave me his copy of Tuesdays With Morrie when I was 13. Ten years later, I've read it only twice. The first time I was 13 and couldn't really appreciate it, the second time I was 22 and it was a lot more meaningful.

This truly is an inspirational read. By the end of the book, I really felt like I had gotten to know Morrie through his final journey. Albom jumps between the past and the present which provides a great contrast, and also a sense of continuity.

Although he shares numerous intimate details with the reader, some things are still witheld - such as Morrie's relationship with his wife. This out of respect for Charlotte, who, as Morrie says, is quite a private person. I don't know if anyone else found this, but that omitted information only made me realise even more how precious their marriage was.

Tuesdays With Morrie is one of those books that will get you thinking about your own life, every part of it - your family, friends, partner, job, children...and encourage you to re-assess how you're doing.

It will definitely make you smile, and who knows, it might even make you shed a tear.

No comments: